Monday, July 15, 2013

where did the black bars go on my widescreen dvd's using a blu-ray player?

blu ray player black screen
 on Sony Bdp-s590 3d Blu-ray Disc Player With Wi-fi Black by Sony Now ...
blu ray player black screen image



Colin K


I just bought a blu-ray player. I have a 16:9 widescreen tv. Unlike most people, I enjoyed the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen because you are able to watch the movie how it was intended to be seen. Well, now that I have a blu-ray player, when I watch widescreen dvd's (not blu-ray discs, but DVD's) I dont see that black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Why?


Answer
It could be because the aspect ratio of the DVD is the same as the TV (16:9). There are widescreen anamorphic DVDs that have content even wider than 16:9, so for those discs you would still see letterboxing above and below, even on a 16:9 TV. So check the back of the DVD case and look for the aspect ratio, if it says 16:9 then it is normal for it to fill the screen completely.

There is one other thing that could be happening. If you connected your Blu-ray player to the TV with a yellow RCA cable for video, then you are not sending a 16:9 image to the TV, you are sending a 4:3 one. In that case the player could also be set to crop a widescreen DVD presentation down to 4:3 (hiding the letterbox effect). Then the widescreen TV would stretch the cropped, 4:3 image back out to 16:9.

If this is the case, you should connect your player to your TV using component or HDMI (preferred) cables. That allows the player to send a widescreen, HD image to the TV.

Can I watch a full screen dvd video in widescreen (with black bars) on my Blu Ray player?




mnn n


Is it possible to watch a full screen dvd in widescreen on my blu ray player?
What i am trying to ask is..is it possible to watch a full screen dvd in widescreen with the black bars at the top and bottom..please and thank u



Answer
I am not sure what you are asking. Any standard dvd should be playable on a blu-ray player. If it is a wide screen dvd then it should display in wide screen format (some wide screen formats cause black bars at the top and bottom of the screen). If it is a full screen dvd (4:3) and not a wide screen dvd then you will see it in 4:3 (with the black bars of the right and left sides of the picture). However if you are asking if a full screen video will magically become wide screen if you play it on your blu-ray player then my answer to you is no it will not.


edited.
What i am trying to ask is..is it possible to watch a full screen dvd in widescreen with the black bars at the top and bottom..please and thank u.

If you stretch or zoom the picture you will make fill the screen but it won't be like a true wide screen video. Stretching will make things wider than they should be and zooming will cut off the tops and bottoms of the videos.

I have said this before and I will say it again.

If you put a full screen (4:3) video into your blu ray player and it is set for a "normal" picture (not stretched or zoomed) what you will get is 4:3 video with black bars on the right and left sides of your screen. I have watched videos that were full screen and on my wide screen tv they only show in 4:3 with black bars on the right and left sides.

You will NOT get a wide screen video with black bars on the top and bottom. How could you when the information on the video is not there? You would need a wide screen version of the dvd in order to get a wide screen video. This is why, when I started buying dvd's I bought wide screen versions even though I only had a standard 4:3 television at the time. I knew that sooner or later I would buy a wide screen tv and would be able to enjoy the videos in wide screen.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: where did the black bars go on my widescreen dvd's using a blu-ray player?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment