Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Should I return my unopened HD DVD player and buy a PS3 now Warner has gone with Blu Ray?

blu ray player target
 on ... Blu-ray Player & 2 Pairs of 3D Glasses for $998 (reg. $ $1,649.99)with
blu ray player target image



Jim


I ordered an HD DVD player last week from Amazon, and the next day Warner announced they were going exclusively with blu ray. Should I just send it back now, get a refund and buy a PS3 instead? Is HD DVD doomed? I don't need a game console - I've got a PC - but I want to play HD movies on my new 1080p LCD TV.


Answer
I would return the player and get a Blu-ray player instead. However, there are plenty of HD options besides discs.

Vudu just released a set-top box capable of streaming/downloading HD movies to your TV via your broadband connection. The selection is limited (you can basically just buy the Bourne Trilogy) but their selection will expand. The cost per movie is about $3.99 to rent (24 hours) and about $15-$20 to own. The box is $399 so it's not cheap but if you like the convenience of HD movie viewing without having physical DVDs to worry about, it's not a bad option.

Xbox Live Marketplace currrently has the best selection of HD movies with prices below: SD=standard definition, HD=high-definition

HD TV Episodes -- 240 points ($3)
SD TV Episodes -- 160 points ($2)
HD Movies -- 480 points ($6)
SD Movies -- 320 points ($4)
Classic HD Movies -- 360 points ($4.50)
Classic SD Movies -- 240 points ($3)

However, Xbox 360 only offers an HD-DVD attachement($179) and does not currently plan to release a Blu-ray attachment.

If you prefer having a physical disc, Blu-ray is really your only option:

1) Among major movie studios, only Universal, Paramount, and Dreamworks support HD-DVD. Fox, Disney, Warner, Sony, Lionsgate, Newline all support Blu-ray exclusively.

2) Target only sells Blu-ray players and Blockbuster only rents Blu-ray discs (some HD-DVDs still offered in some stores)

Retailers are likely to stock fewer HD-DVDs in stores or allocate less shelf space to them so even if HD-DVD survives it will be like Betamax.

I don't have an HDTV, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, or work for any of the tech companies.


If you prefer a physical disc, Blu-ray is your only option at this point.

How much do you think Transformers 2 will be on Blu-ray on Black Friday?




inflatable


I want the movie Transformers 2 on Blu-ray, but I have a strong feeling it will be one of the discounted films on Black Friday. I spotted in the Target ad for this week TF2 is only $23, but I'm not sure if I should buy it for that price or wait until Black Friday. How much do you think TF2 BD will be on Black Friday?


Answer
Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper is a powerful and dependent DVD and Blu-Ray DVD Buckup, Ripper and Converter which enables you directly to copy your DVDs or Blu-Ray DVDs on your hard disc for playing, to rip and convert your Blu-Ray DVD movies and general DVDs, even the protected DVDs and Blu-Ray DVDs, into other popular audio and video formats like AVI, ASF, MPEG, MP4, WMV, MKV, MOV, FLV, SWF, RM, 3GP, AAC, AC3, MP3, OGG, WAV, WMA, M4A, etc to playback on your beloved portable players such as iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, Zune, Blackberry, PSP, Creative Zen, Xbox, etc. And you need not install AnyDVD any more.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Should I return my unopened HD DVD player and buy a PS3 now Warner has gone with Blu Ray?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment