Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Good video card for HTPC streaming large .MKV files?

blu ray player xbmc
 on Home-Theater-PC: Multimedia-Allesk�nner im Wohnzimmer - teltarif.de ...
blu ray player xbmc image



BoilerRoom


Started putting together a HTPC rig and while I am able to stream most files without issue from my Server, once I start playing large .mkv files which are blu ray quality, usually the movie will play only for a few seconds but then will ultimately crash VLC, or XBMC.

Here is my setup:

OS: Ubuntu 10.04

Processor: AMD 1055T 2.8 GHz (6 core)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P
Onboard Video: Radeon 3000

Video Player being used - VLC and XBMC

Ive installed the proprietary ATI drivers and for the few seconds the large (8GB+) look great when they play. I don't think the processor or RAM is the issue as the are more then enough for a HTPC rig.

From what Ive been reading on the net, nvidia is the best when it come to linux and I dont mind getting a new card, but would like to know from others out there what nvidia card I should get as I dont want to overspend for performance that wont be used, since I wont be doing any gaming, just streaming movies, internet, news websites.

TIA



Answer
The GT 520 would be more than enough for you needs and that's about as inexpensive as it can get, you can get it for $20-$25 on http://www.newegg.com after rebate.
Here's the cheapest one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127583

Building a new HTPC, help?




Ginny.


Right, I want to build my parents a HTPC (I think thats what i mean :L) to put in their living room. It needs to play blu-rays, dvds, music, photos, and terrestrial TV (like freeview). It really also needs to be capable of recording and pausing live TV if possible. Oh yeah, and it needs to be cheap.

What I need to know is what OS I should put on there (preferably a dedicated and free one, been looking in to stuff like XBMC but that doesn't seem to support TV.)
What sort of hardware I should spend on, and what not to worry about.

Cheers.
G.
My parents aren't particularly old, still younger than 50. They actually asked for something that can do everything (photos, movies etc). Oh and, a bluray drive is about $50? Cheap is something less than $250 in my opinion. Basically I just need a media box that can play tv, with a fast os :)



Answer
A couple of months ago, I did exactly what you are trying to do. But the operating system is Windows 7 Professional with Media Center. Every other computer in my house runs some form of linux, so I'm not afraid of open source solutions at all. But media center just works, and it's intuitive . . . and it's compatible with universal remote controls.

Could you save money by going with an open source OS? Depends on how much your TIME is worth. Do you want to spend a month tinkering with it to get it to work right and then ANOTHER month teaching the end users how to operate it? Compare that to the cost of Windows 7, which can be set up and running (end users running it with no training needed) in a couple of hours.

My build, which works PERFECT (even my 3-year-old son uses it) is:
Foxconn 880G chipset mainboard with built-in HD 4250 graphics.
Athlon II X2 CPU (low power use for 24/7 operation)
2GB of RAM
WD 320GB SATA hard drive (boot)
Seagate 1TB SATA hard drive (video recordings storage space)
Silverstone GD something HTPC case (GD05B, I think)
Avermedia brand hybrid PCI-Express TV tuner (analog / digital)
LiteOn IHES208 Blu-Ray combo DVD burner
Antec Earthwatts EA-380D 380W "Bronze" power supply. (smallest PSU I could find that is decent quality)

Oh, and a Rii mini wireless keyboard/touchpad combo
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wireless-Keyboard-Rechargeable-Notebooks/dp/B003UE52ME
I bought that as it's inconvenient to have a keyboard/mouse in the entertainment center.

Most of the time, we use a GE brand universal remote to control this computer. We bought the GE universal remote at Target for less than $20. I think it was about ten bucks . . .

The avermedia TV tuner card came with a remote that will control the computer, also. But the GE remote controls everything in our entertainment center. (TV, computer, DVD player, cable box)

We daily record and play back both standard and hi-definition television programming off of "air" and cable. Most movies we watch are plain DVD format, which we use the Samsung DVD player for. But we do watch blu-ray movies on the computer, also.

My advice . . . choose all your components for low power use. Remember, it will be on 24/7. And ditch the idea of a free OS. This is a worthwhile project. And it can be completed in a weekend (or even one day) if you use Windows 7.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Good video card for HTPC streaming large .MKV files?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment