Thursday, April 17, 2014

What to look for in a blu-ray player for compatibility with my surround sound?




rain


My boyfriend wants a blu-ray player for his birthday, but I'm not sure what to get. He has a surround sound system with a multi-disc dvd player right now. Is there something I can look for in a blu-ray player so that I know it will be able to be hooked up to his surround sound system? I think he wants to hook the speakers up to the blu-ray player instead of his dvd player.


Answer
Unfortunately, he will not be able to swap his DVD player with the Blu-ray player. What he has now is a HTIB (Home theater In a Box) and those do not allow for you to mix-n-match parts, so he will need to keep his multi-disc player as it is what is powering his speakers.

That being said he should be able to add a blu-ray player and simply connect the audio from the blu-ray player to the DVD/Surround sound system. What you should look for is the highest quality audio connection that he has on his DVD/surround sound system. Ideally it should have a digital optical connection looks like this.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/lifestyle/2001/hToslinkJack.jpeg

Or he should have a digital coax connector which looks like this.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/graphics/infolib/homelib/hCoaxialDigitalJack.jpg

If his system has the first connector, then virtually every blu-ray player will work. If his system has the second connection I listed, then most, but not all blu-ray players will work. Find out which one his DVD/Surround sound receiver has get a store associate help you find a blu-ray player with the same connection.

Whenever he decides to upgrade his system next, I'd recommend he stay away from surround sound systems with built-in DVD/Blu-ray players. Consider this home much larger is his DVD/Surround sound system than a regular DVD player. Not much I bet. So how much of the electronics are truly dedicated to audio quality. Not much.

P.S. I also second the recommendation for a Panasonic Blu-ray player as I also have a 1st Gen player (built around 2006) that outperforms some of the newer players. Panasonic just makes quality Blu-ray players.

Which is the best blu-ray player?

Q. I am looking to buy a blu-ray player for my neice for his birthday, and noticed there are all kinds of blu-ray players priced from around $70 to over $300. I don't want to spend over $140 for this. Which would be the best player for my money that would give a good picture and sound quality?


Answer
I would suggest Sony BDP-S380 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black) - Sony are always a safe bet & this one is $120




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What to look for in a blu-ray player for compatibility with my surround sound?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment