Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Is it worth spending the money to buy a blu-ray disc player, or is there really not much difference?

blu ray player quality comparison
 on Gout: Its Cause, Nature, And Treatment: With Directions For The ...
blu ray player quality comparison image



lahlahdips


For those who have them, let me know if it's been worth the investment or if I'd be better off waiting another year or two for the prices to drop.


Answer
I don't have a Blu-ray player but do have an HD DVD player ... which -- according to most experts -- gives virtually identical video and audio performance to Blu-ray.

I use a 720p HD projector, a 110" screen and a good 7.2 audio system for movies and HDTV. I tried HD movies and did careful comparisons and found very little difference between HD DVD and upconverted DVDs and, even before HD DVD died I decided not to buy HD DVD disks since DVDs were plenty good enough and far cheaper.

I might see more difference if I had a 1080p projector .... and someday may upgrade ... but with my current setup I'm in no hurry to buy into Blu-ray because the price premium on disks (~$10 vs the same movie on DVD) just isn't worth it.

Everything I read says Blu-ray CAN be great, but often is only a little better than DVD. Furthermore all too many movies are either not available on Blu-ray or don't really justify HD treatment (who needs an HD version of "Jackass" or "Van Wilder", or even "home movie" films like "Cloverfield" or "28 Days"?).

My conclusion is that Blu-ray is in trouble. It's evolutionary, not revolutionary. It isn't going away ... but isn't a sure thing to replace DVD as the mainstream format. Rather, it will continue to coexist with DVD as a premium priced HD alternative.

While prices will come down in the next year or so, Blu-ray will always be more expensive than DVD (more difficult and expensive to master, higher production costs, higher licensing fees).

The judgement as to how much extra it is worth to get Blu-ray quality is a personal one, but at the moment I would recommend anyone other than an "early adopter" (those who must have new technology no matter what the cost) with a 40"+ screen 1080p display and a GOOD audio system stay with DVD until prices come down significantly. The benefits of Blu-ray just are not that compelling for most consumers ... and certainly not at current prices.

Looking to buy a Blu-ray player! Having a hard time deciding if I should get the PS3, or a stand alone player?




Jason


I hear PS3 still puts out the best picture and the gaming is also a plus! but I'm not sure if its $150 dollars better then a stand alone player. Anyone have experience with both types of players? Is the picture quality difference with the PS3 noticible? Yes I know I could buy a high end stand alone but then I'm paying just as much as a PS3.


Answer
Cnet recently did a comparison of Blu-ray players, and the PS3 was included in it: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-blu-ray-players/ .




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is it worth spending the money to buy a blu-ray disc player, or is there really not much difference?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment