Friday, September 20, 2013

Should I get an Blu Ray Player or a DVD UpConverter?

blu ray player 720p tv
 on ... Blu-ray video quality, do some settings before Blu-ray ripping process
blu ray player 720p tv image



Rayford


I have an Xbox 360 running HDMI on a 32" 720p tv. Will a DVD Up-converter do a better job? Or should i just wait to get a Blu Ray Player? Or, on my tv, is it even worth it to get a blu ray payer?


Answer
On a 32" 720p HDTV the improvement of Blu-ray over DVD will be small. And if you are watching DVDs on a Blu-ray player it may or may not be better than a DVD on an upscaling DVD player ... it depends on the quality of the video processor chip. Many upscaling DVD players don't do a great job, but more expensive ones (say > $60) aren't bad. On the other hand cheaper Blu-ray players (say < $150) generally don't do a great job upscaling DVDs either.

So really your choice is a "better" upscaling DVD player or a "better" Blu-ray player. Since you won't get much benefit from Blu-ray disks on your current HDTV unless you plan to upgrade it in the next year or so I'd opt for a "better" upscaling DVD player. The best choice is a used OPPO player. They are now discontinued, but the DV981 (See link) was generally considered one of the best upscaling DVD players ever made, so try to find one of those used.

FYI, I watch DVDs on a Blu-ray player that does better than average DVD upscaling and display via a 1080p projector on a 110" screen. While Blu-ray disks are a bit better, in most cases DVD looks pretty darn good. So, even though I can play Blu-rays I more often than not still buy DVDs because they are usually much cheaper ... and few movies really warrant Blu-ray.

Hope that helps ... Good luck.

How to make a blu ray player go to 1080i or 720p?




jake


I got a Sony blu ray player but my tv only goes to 1080i. I'll be connecting the player to my tv with HDMI but I've heard that it'll automatically go to 1080p with HDMI


Answer
Since your TV is only 1080i, the HDMI will only only go to 1080i. If your TV is 1080p, the HDMI will go up to 1080p.
The HDMI automatically detects the highest resolution of your TV and plays it.
Or you can always go to the bluray players settings and adjust it to the resolution you want Manually yourself.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Should I get an Blu Ray Player or a DVD UpConverter?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment