Thursday, September 12, 2013

If I buy a external usb hd can I play movies off of it on a console or dvd player?

blu ray player freeware
 on      ...
blu ray player freeware image



Kyro


Can I plug it into a tv usb and just play movies off a hard drive?


Answer
First of all, I assume you're talking about an external hard drive. The answer is yes and no.

Some TVs will recognize the drive directly connected and some won't. Which is why I advise against plugging into a TV and instead using an intermediary device like a DVD player, PS3, Wii, XBOX360, or like a Blu Ray player or something else which has external hard drive support.

Next, you have to format the drive to FAT32. I found a nice little free app that does it well. E-mail me at hogger129@gmail.com and I will give you a link to it. It's quick and easy to use. You can also use the Command Prompt on your computer, but it takes a lot longer.

Next, you have to realize that the FAT32 file system makes it so that you cannot have any files over 4GB. Just the limits of the system. NTFS is better, but so far, I have not found any kind of devices like I mentioned above that will recognize an NTFS drive - just computers.

You will need a program to rip your DVD or Blu Ray movie or whatever you want to make a copy of onto your external drive. I recommend DVDFab. It's payware, but it works and works well. Other alternatives if you would rather have freeware are DVD Shrink and Freemake Video Converter. Shrink makes an iso image file and Freemake will convert it into the proper format.

I would recommend converting your rips to generic .avi since nearly all those devices I mentioned above will recognize it. PS3 and Blu Ray players will recognize .mp4, but I recommend using generic .avi since it will also work on PS3 and Blu Ray players as well as the other devices I mentioned above.

Then that's it.

If you have trouble, let me know and I can make a YouTube video on it.

I have a blu ray player built in to my laptop?




michaelint


But i can not play my blu ray movie. What sowftware do i need that is FREE.
thanks



Answer
All laptops I know of come with player software. I'd be very surprised if yours didn't too. Since there are royalty costs for drivers you probably won't find freeware players, but check the link for a test of 4 players.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: If I buy a external usb hd can I play movies off of it on a console or dvd player?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment