Thursday, February 6, 2014

HDMI cables: is there really a difference between the $40 at KMart and the $300 Monster?




Justin H


I realize in side by side tests with the best of the best there might be a noticeable difference between an expensive Monster cable and a cheaper cable. But for the average home installation, is there really a need to pay that much more?

For what it's worth, I have a 32" Samsung LCD (720p, 7000:1 contrast ratio) . I don't currently have any equipment that used an HDMI cable, but I ordered a Samsung Upconvert DVD player which can use HDMI or Component.
Thanks for your answers. They pretty much tell me what I expected. I'm not sure who to pick at this point, but the first three answers were very good.



Answer
Here is what you need to know.

The need for high quality HDMI will depend largely on the application.
If you are connecting an upconverting DVD player to the TV directly the low grade cable is fine. This is likely to be a short run (HDMI looses signal strength faster that other cables) you are only transmitting a 720p image at best (this is the native resolution of the TV so no need to go higher.)

As you start adding Distance, Connections or signal you will need to get better cables. Here is what I mean.

If you are transmitting a 1080P image instead of a 720P you need greater data transfer speed because the bitrate is faster.
If you add uncompressed audio like Dolby TrueHD or dts-HD you need even more speed.
Throw in other things like X.V. Color, Bonus View on Blu-Ray, 120Hz refresh rates (yes I know that it happens in the TVs but that may change) and now you need a pretty darn good cable.
Put a receiver in the signal path (Blu-Ray to Receiver to TV) and the quality of the cables becomes more important.
Stick the cable in the wall to a flat panel TV and you had better have a good HDMI cable.
Cable over 10', 15', 25' 50'? You will need progressively better cables.
All of these things add up.
So, no you don't need a high quality cable for what you are using it for right now. But if you trade up or add components you may.

Have any of you been black Friday shopping?




Forever


I just went Black Friday shopping because Walmart and Kmart began their Black Friday deals at 8:00 tonight. It was the first time we ever went Black Friday shopping and, allow me to just say, I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! People were getting pushed, shoved, hit and knocked over. One girl was threatened that if she took the last one of a certain toy she would be killed. It was absolutely crazy. My husband told me that people die over this kind of thing but I laughed it off, I truly thought he was messing around. And moving through the stores was like trying to drive a semi through rush hour traffic in Chicago. You couldn't get anywhere!

So, do any of you plan on venturing out into the world of Black Friday demons, psycho's and general crazies?



Answer
A man who looked like Al Roker strongly shoved my friend at Walmart (they make lines down the aisles now to get TVs and big electronics) sending her face into one of the poles as he screamed "move b*tches" to ensure he got that Blu Ray player. He broke her jaw and she got trampled. Bad thing was she was 15 weeks pregnant. Other women said move and kicked at her to get a chance at that blu ray player. Walmart mgmt and the cops saw it and grinned and even told us we couldn't have the info about the guy when we saw he wrote a check at the checkout lane when we were at customer service filing a claim against the store and the mgr saying its not our fault because he connoted assault but we can't give out his info because of privacy laws.

I went tonight and walmart says you can't unopen the shrinkwrap pallets with the special items before 8:00 but people were doing it at 6pm but the real chaos broke out at 7:30. People realized the ratio was 100 customers to 1 clerk so they were like let's do this and by 8:00 all the special stuff was cleaned out. I got a beauty rest mattress pad for my new bed and was sly enough to get in there and get out. However, I had one lady try to punch my crotch and another lady try to punch me crying "this is bullshit!!!" As she wanted the item after I got out of the crowd. She was probably 8 rows of people back when the chaos broke out and didn't get a mattress pad at all.

Overall I try to avoid them (I will not do the electronics and stay away from best buy and target where nutcases line up for 72 hrs before) because of the crap. I bought some stuff over the past week when target had basically the same deals overall except you didn't get a free giftcard with it like you would tonight but I felt that it really wasn't worth it to risk the psychos for a $40 gift card. I got an ipad 4, otter box for it, an ottoman bench, and a clock on amazing deals and didn't have to fight as I took my time and had fun. Also I'm 29 and have my PHD so I don't try to do Walmart because honestly they get the lowest class people there (sorry it's elitest yet true) and best buy has too many 18-25 yr old stoner Taco Bell employee types that will assault you in a heartbeat to get an Xbox




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: HDMI cables: is there really a difference between the $40 at KMart and the $300 Monster?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment