Sunday, February 2, 2014

Standard DVD vs Blu-ray/HD?




hec830


Not sure if this questions been asked before... What exactly is the difference between a regular dvd and a blu-ray/hd. To me, standard is fine, but is upgrading worth it?


Answer
Blu-Ray and HD DVD are competing (and incompatible) high definition (1080p) video formats. They both have identical video and audio quality and, despite claims about space/storage differences, both work for all current movies .... i.e. there IS NO DIFFERENCE.

Under the right conditions they can give stunning video and sound (some people upgrade more for the sound than the video), but depending on your equipment there may be no benefit to upgrading.

Unless you have a 40" or larger 1080p HDTV you will see little difference from HD DVD or Blu-Ray compared to a normal DVD on a good upscaling DVD player. Sound may be better if you have a good sound system and an amp/receiver capable of processing the high bitrate sound tracks.

Personally, I have a 720p/1080i front projector and a 110" screen. HD DVD has a very slight edge over normal DVD's on my Oppo DVD player ... but not enough for me to buy more HD DVD disks or retire my DVD collection. I admit sound is a bit better too, but Dolby Digital or DTS is plenty good enough.

Since pictures say a lot. See the link (caution: big images) for a visual comparison of DVD and HD DVD scenes from LOTR.

I, personally, don't find the difference compelling enough to pay $$$ to upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Should I buy a PS3 or other top of the line Blu Ray player?




E. Nigma


I'm getting ready to buy a Blu Ray player for my Sony LCD and everyone says to get a PS3. I don't play games (I guess I might a little bit if I actually had a console but I stay pretty busy without one) so should I just get a Samsung or Sony for about $30-$50 less or just say the hell with it and spend the extra dough? I want to utilize the Netflix streaming and what not...


Answer
The PS3. Best Blu ray player on the market for a bargain in comparison to others of comparable quality. Plus you get the top of the line playstation.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Standard DVD vs Blu-ray/HD?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment