Sunday, December 8, 2013

Moving from Blu Ray Player to Regular DVD Player?

blu ray player 1.0 review
 on reviews-3d-bluray-dvd-player-1-0-s-307x512.jpg
blu ray player 1.0 review image



w8ing2exha


I have a Vizio Blu Ray Player that just stopped playing my blue ray DVDs. I mean it won't play any blu rays at all. I've already heard about updating the firmware, but from reviews I have read on this player that does no good. Even after people updgraded the firmware, its still a piece of junk and won't play blu rays. So now I'm just fed up and I don't want to be bothered with having to upgrade firmware . I just want to buy and use and be done with it. So I'm thinking of going back to a regular DVD player (non blu ray). My question is: Will I still have to be worried about a regular DVD player not playing ALL DVDs (non blu ray) and will I have to be bothered with firmware updates with a regular DVD player?
I know I bought a cheap Blu Ray player, but no matter how much the blu ray player, I will still have to do firmware updates, correct? That is what I want to avoid in the future, I don't want to do updates.



Answer
Buying a DVD player today doesn't make much sense unless you plan to never watch Blu-ray and/or really want to save a few $. If necessary consider a Blu-ray player to be an upscaling DVD player that also plays Blu-ray disks.

You don't have to update firmware on blu-ray players ... although the fact you can is really a "plus" since it allows manufacturers to address issues and/or provide additional features after market. I have two Blu-ray players, a high end version 1.0 player (Pioneer) I have updated about half a dozen times in 5 years and a basic version 2.0 player (LG) I've updated twice in two years. Neither have given me any problems. None of the firmware updates were essential since the players worked fine, but I chose to do them because they improved performance (i.e. faster loading time, new audio capability, additional on-line service).

Your problem isn't with Blu-ray it's with the poor quality of the player you bought. While any brand/model can fail, buying the cheapest or an off-brand is asking for trouble. DVD players are now a rapidly dying device class, and given that Blu-ray prices are falling fast it's increasingly difficult for manufacturers to make quality DVD players cheap enough to compete, so there is no guarantee a new DVD player won't fail prematurely.

My advice: Buy a new Blu-ray player from a) a name brand manufacturer (e.g. Pioneer, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung) and b) select a model slightly above the bottom in their line-up (unless you want/can use features only provided by higher end models).

looking at blue ray players?




bboy4life8


so me, my brother, and my sister are thinking about going in together to buy my dad a blue ray player for christmas. we can afford 250-300 dollars. I haven't looked into blue ray players at all yet so i don't know whats out there, what features i need, and what brands i need to look into or avoid. if someone could help me by just telling me what brands to look into or sending me a link to a good blue ray player that would be a great help. thankyou!


Answer
Sorry, but you are going to have to do some reading and decide what matters to you. Basically, if your Dad will primarily watch movies and doesn't care about extra features -- and doesn't have a high end surround sound system -- any Blu-ray player will give good results.

I just read a rave review from a consumer who loves his Memorex (see link), and it was $144. Extra dollars do, generally, imply higher quality components and/or extra capabilities, but for many consumers primarily interested in watching a Blu-ray movie, they are overkill.

Consider that prices will continue to fall, so for a first player it may be sensible to buy inexpensive and plan to buy a better one in 2-3 years after hardware is more mature and prices are down to $150 or less.for even name brand players.

The one caution I would suggest is to not buy a Profile 1.0 player ... look for Profile 1.1. Profile 2.0 is available but unless you need internet access for extra features it's an expensive extra.

Finally ... and this maybe should have been first ... if your dad doesn't have an HDTV you will be wasting your money buying a Blu-ray player.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Moving from Blu Ray Player to Regular DVD Player?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment